Creston, BC – May 27, 2020: The Provincial state of emergency has been extended by the Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Mike Farnworth, until the end of the day on June 9, 2020 to support continued coordination of the COVID-19 pandemic response. This marks the longest state of emergency in our Province’s history.
Kids and COVID-19: With parents thinking about sending their children back into classrooms and childcare next week, there are lots of questions about children and COVID-19. The Province of BC released a statement today noting that COVID-19 has a very low infection rate in kids. If infected, kids have milder symptoms (if any) and very few become critically ill. There has been very little transmission involving children outside of household settings. Returning to the classroom is optional at this time, and the decision to do so needs to be based on each family’s unique set of circumstances. Keep the following in mind if your child is returning to school or child care:
- If your child is feeling sick, have them stay home. No exceptions.
- Your child should wash their hands with soap and water, often.
- Teens should practice physically distancing with people outside their household or bubble.
- Young kids (who can’t physical distance) should limit physical contact with people outside their household or child care setting.
- For more information visit: http://www.bccdc.ca/…/diseases-c…/covid-19/childcare-schools
BC Centre for Disease Control Survey: “BC COVID-19 SPEAK: Your story, our future” is a population health survey to elicit citizen experience, knowledge and actions during the COVID-19 pandemic. This survey is the first of several activities that will strengthen our pandemic response and our understanding of the impacts of COVID-19 to date (social, economic, mental wellness and community wellness). The survey will be open until May 31 and can be accessed at: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/covid-19-survey?fbclid=IwAR0QQWSn0iJ51rvbF9BEYt30drO6mUT95JfYar51AFsRGko2HaImU-isIlk