Creston, BC – May 4 , 2020: Physical distancing is critical for protecting each other and our communities from COVID-19. But today, May the 4th, and every day, be sure to stay 2 lightsaber lengths apart from others when outside your home.
COVID-19 Going Forward: Today Dr. Bonnie Henry presented modeling on the epidemiology of COVID-19, outlining how the virus has affected people in BC. This presentation also included goals and principles to support the Province’s Go Forward Plan (to be announced on Wednesday). Some principles we can each consider moving forward include:
- Staying informed, being prepared and following public health advice.
- Practicing good hygiene (hand hygiene, avoid touching face, respiratory etiquette, disinfect frequently touched surfaces).
- Staying at home and away from others if feeling ill – not going to school/work.
- Maintaining physical distancing outside the household (e.g. no hand shaking or hugging, small numbers of contacts and keeping a safe distance).
- Making necessary contact safer with appropriate controls (e.g. plexiglass barriers, room design).
- Increasing environmental cleaning at home and work.
- Considering the use of non-medical masks in situations where physical distancing cannot be maintained (e.g. on transit, shopping).
- Reducing personal non-essential travel.
To view the full slide deck visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/Covid-19_May4_PPP.pdf?fbclid=IwAR25L_aB5-BUXfRW4zbIZZB2tHROCLcRBxClHt3uPACRVmqwkZ9kU0V6M88
One Time Increase in Canada Child Benefit for May: Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau announced that families receiving the Canada Child Benefit will receive an additional $300.00 per child in May to help them deal with the added pressures of COVID-19. Eligible families will automatically receive this one-time increase as part of their scheduled CCB payment in May. Those who already receive the CCB do not need to re-apply for this one-time increase. For the full release read here: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2020/05/03/families-receive-increased-support-through-canada-child-benefit.