News Flash Home
The original item was published from 3/27/2020 2:18:51 PM to 3/31/2020 8:05:01 AM.

News Flash

Creston News Room

Posted on: March 27, 2020

[ARCHIVED] March 27, 2020 - Update from Creston Valley Physicians and Medical Staff

Here is the March 27, 2020 update from the Creston Valley Physicians and Medical Staff regarding COVID-19 (coronavirus) as posted on Facebook by Dr. Nerine Kleinhans. 

Good morning Creston,

As of 3 p.m. on March 26, there were 725 identified cases in B.C.

To date, there have been 62 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health. This is an increase of 21 cases reported in just one day. We have no confirmed cases in Creston yet. The results that you see today are from swabs done 5 - 7 days ago, so next week will be a test of how well we are distancing ourselves this week. The numbers are increasing, and we’re expecting a surge of new cases in the next 7-10 days. If you’ve ever wondered if this is just the “flu,” please believe me when I tell you that it’s not.

COVID19 is real and spreading rapidly.

There has been a lot of media coverage on possible cures for COVID19 - mega quantities of Vit C, zinc, colloidal silver, boiling massive amounts of garlic, antimalarial, hydroxychloroquine, antibiotic and antiviral therapies. As much as we are all hopeful that a cure can be found quickly, it’s critical to note that at his time, a proven treatment for COVID19 does not exist.

Before I continue - remember that 80% of our younger population ( < 65 years) will have mild disease and recover naturally. For the remaining 20%, the mortality is much higher. At this point, experimental treatment can cause more harm than good, and for that reason, these experimental treatments will not be used outside of clinical trials. Many Canadians need Hydroxychloroquine for conditions like Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. As a doctor, we have a critical role in ensuring that health care decisions are based solely on the most current evidence available. This will ensure the best possible care for the patients through this global health pandemic. We should not be prescribing these therapies for COVID19, and pharmacists should not dispense them if we do. Stay health, and if you have a vitamin/natural product regime that works for you, please stick to it!

Today will be an important day in the media: The province will be releasing modelling on the progress of the pandemic in B.C.. In essence, we hope for some predictions on the possible timing of the surge in the cases that we can expect.

Your only job today is to stay home and spend time with your family.

Especially your kids. It’s so difficult for our children to communicate exactly what they’re feeling, but will often make a bid for attention and communication through play. Don’t be surprised to see more themes of aggression, illness and isolation in their play. Understand that play is cathartic and helpful for children - it is how they process their world and problem solve, and there’s a lot they are seeing and experiencing in the now. You are their role model. Take a shower, get dressed in comfortable clothes, wash your face and consider a touch of mascara (ladies ;-)) Put on some bright colours. It is incredible how our dress can impact our mood.

For those of us in essential services, thank you for leaving your families and taking a risk to go out and provide the services that you, at home, need to stay safe. Grocery stores, pharmacies, post office, RCMP and so many more. All of us in health care are working non-stop in preparing to handle the potential medical needs that may arise in Creston. We are vulnerable too. You can help by not contributing to the spread of infection. Please stay home.

Stay well, Creston. My next update will be on Monday unless there is urgent news to be shared.

Creston Valley Physicians and Medical Staff

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Creston News Room

Street Sweeping Graphic

Street Sweeping

Posted on: March 24, 2023