- Infrastructure Services
- Curbside Collection - Garbage, Recycling and Food Waste
Curbside Collection - Garbage, Recycling and Food Waste
As of June 21, 2022, the Town of Creston now provides the curbside collection of residential food waste, recycling, garbage and yard waste for all single-family dwellings, bare land stratas, mobile homes, and other eligible dwellings within the Town limits. We announced the launch of the new service by mailing out two separate informational flyers. If you did not receive them in your mailbox, you can view them by clicking on the photos below:
The service provided consists of:
• Kitchen scraps will be collected weekly. The Town will supply an outdoor cart and indoor “kitchen catcher” container.
• An unlimited amount of recycling will be collected every-other-week. The Town will supply "blue boxes" for collecting recyclables. You may place as many containers of recyclables you need on the curb on your recycling collection day, provided the containers are clearly marked for recycling. Containers do not have to be a blue bin – you could use a garbage can or storage tote for example. If it is not obvious that your container is designated for recyclables it may not be collected. To ensure your extra container is collected, recycle stickers are available from Town Hall for $2.
• Garbage will be collected every-other-week up to a limit of 1 container (maximum 120L) with a maximum weight of 50lbs OR 2 Regular sized black garbage bags (65cm x 83cm) weighting approx. 11.5kg (25 lbs) each.. Extra “bag tags” will still be available for purchase.
• Garbage and recycling collection will alternate week to week.
• The Town will continue to provide seasonal yard waste collection multiple times per year (once in the spring and twice in the fall).
If your bags were missed, please call Tip-It Waste Solutions Inc. at 250-428-9887.
Please place your bags or containers on the curb before 7:00 a.m. If you have recently moved and do not know your garbage day, please give us a call at Town Hall. View the Schedule or Curbside Zone Map (January 2023) online or enter your address in the Calendar located on this page (below).
Having problems making the change to bi-weekly residential garbage collection? For the remainder of 2022, you can pick up extra Solid Waste Collection Tags, at no cost, from Town Hall.
Creston Recycles App
The Creston Recycles web and mobile phone app provides residents with their curbside collection schedule, reminders, Town notifications, and what-goes-where (Wizard) tool. The Wizard tool can be used for any type of material and Creston Recycles will provide information on how to properly dispose of it and drop-off locations (if it is not collected with curbside collection). You can also report a missed collection through the app. The web version of the app is below or you can download it for free onto your mobile device from your App Store (search for Creston Recycles). Once downloaded onto your device, you’ll be prompted to enter your address to get your schedule and set reminders. You can use the Wizard tool to search for what can and can't go at the curb.
Contact the Town if further assistance is required. Using this tool is beneficial to reducing the waste that goes to landfill and allows you to receive important notifications from the Town.
If the App tool is slow to respond, please try refreshing your browser.
Frequently Asked Questions
Solid Waste Billing and Collection
The rates are identified in Schedule 10 - Solid Waste Fees, of the Fees and Charges Bylaw No.1763.
Residential (up to four dwelling units)
Starting the week of June 21st, 2022, curbside collection service provided to single family homes and those multi-family buildings with four units or less will consist of the following:
|Residential Garbage/Refuse Collection|
Bi-Weekly collection of Garbage/ Refuse (alternating with Recycling)
• Residents may put out 1 container (maximum 120L) or 2 regular sized black garbage bags (65cm x 83cm).
• Residents must supply their own garbage containers or bags and the maximum total weight of garbage is limited to 23kg (50 lbs). For example, 1 x 120L container weighting a max. 23kg (50 lbs) OR 2 regular sized black garbage bags (65cm x 83cm) weighting approx. 11.5kg (25 lbs) each.
• If your garbage contains compostable or recyclable material it will not be picked up.
Two bags per primary residence and one bag (tagged) per secondary suite are allowed bi-weekly. Additional tags are available at Town Hall for $2/bag.
Having problems making the change to bi-weekly garbage collection? For the remainder of 2022 you can pickup 26 EXTRA Garbage/ Refuse Collection Tags, at no cost, from Town Hall.
|Residential Food Waste Collection|
Weekly collection of Food Waste.
• Food Waste will be collected in a 45L Town-supplied Green Food Waste Cart, and the maximum weight shall not exceed 18kg (40lbs).
• Green Cart waste can include food waste such as bones, meat, eggshells, leftovers, grease, soiled paper and cardboard, paper towel, napkins, facial tissue, waxed and parchment paper, wood items such as toothpicks, popsicle sticks and chop sticks.
• If you have extra food waste on your collection day that will not fit in your Food Waste Container, you may place an extra re-usable container that is clearly identifiable as containing food waste or Kraft paper bag of food waste at the curb for collection with a Food Waste Collection Tag. If using Kraft paper bags, it would be a good idea to double bag your extra organic material to ensure your bag does not break upon collection.
PLEASE NOTE: You must place your Town-supplied Green Food Waste Cart at the curb on collection day. This bin indicates, to the Collector, that you are eligible for the curbside collection of Food Waste!
You do not have to line your food waste cart but should you choose to do so, you must use a material that is also compostable including: newspaper or compostable paper bags. Biodegradable and compostable plastic bags are NOT ALLOWED (please see explanations below).
Accepted kitchen catcher and bin liners:
Kitchen catcher and bin liners must be made of 100% paper or paper with a cellulose liner. Bag to Earth is one locally available kitchen catcher/bin liner that is compliant and can be found at; Pealow’s Your Independent Grocer, Save-On-Foods and Home Hardware. All other bags (Biobag, Glad, and Western Family) are made of or contain compostable plastics, even if they look like paper.
Compostable & Biodegradable Plastics
Unfortunately, at this time, the RDCK aerated windrow compost facility cannot accept compostable plastic materials. Anything that resembles plastic, even if it is a certified compostable product (i.e., BPI) must stay out. Bags, cutlery, and most containers that display compostable labeling will be made of a material called Polylactic Acid (PLA). PLA products will not break down fast enough in the aerated windrow system, and leave a micro-plastic residue that may be harmful to soil organisms. The Regional District is trialing some of these PLA products in bio-solid windrows and may find they are OK. For now though, they need to stay out.
Residential Recycling Collection
Bi-Weekly collection of Recycling (alternating with Garbage/ Refuse)
• Recycling collection will begin on June 28th, 2022, and will be picked up on a bi-weekly basis.
• Recyclables will be collected in an 83L Town-supplied Blue Bin, and the maximum weight shall not exceed 18kg (40lbs). The Town will collect recycling as a single-stream. In single-stream recycling, paper, flattened cardboard, and metal and plastic containers and paper cartons are mixed in the same recycling collection container.
•You may place as many containers of recyclables you need on the curb on your recycling collection day, provided the containers are clearly marked for recycling, have an open top and contain a maximum of 18 Kg (40 lbs) of material. Containers do not have to be a blue bin – you could use a garbage can or storage tote for example. If it is not obvious that your container is designated for recyclables it may not be collected. PLEASE NOTE: You must place your Town-supplied Blue Bin at the curb on collection day. This bin indicates, to the Collector, that you are eligible for the curbside collection of recyclables!
Recycling symbol stickers to identify non-standard recycling containers are available at Town Hall for $2, or you can make your own label, as shown below.
• Unfortunately, you cannot place glass, styrofoam and plastic bags/wrap in your blue bin - you will still need to take these to the Creston Recycling Depot located on Helen Street behind the Arrow Mountain Carwash. Recycling collection will be bi-weekly and residents should leave materials loose in the bin. Recyclables will not be collected in single use plastic bags.
Residential (five or more dwelling units)
Manufactured home parks, strata and apartment complexes with five or more units are required to provide appropriate arrangements for private Curbside Collection of solid waste. However, these users may opt-in to receiving the Town's curbside collection of solid waste and disposal service if it can be accommodated by the Town. Please note that any multi-unit property must opt-in entirely.
If, these uses elect to opt-in, each unit will be treated as a single family homes and the curbside collection of solid waste will be the same as for single family homes.
Starting the week of June 21st, 2022, the curbside collection of solid waste service provided to commercial properties changes to Bi-weekly collection of Garbage/ Refuse ONLY. Food waste and recycling will not be collected from Commercial Properties. Garbage/ Refuse collection will consist of the following:
|Commercial Garbage/Refuse Collection|
Bi-Weekly collection of Garbage/ Refuse.
• Commercial properties will be provided with a total of 104 Refuse Collection Tags on January 31st for use during the following 12 month period. Each tag will permit Commercial properties to put out 1 regular sized black garbage bag (65cm x 83cm) with a approximate weight of 11.5 kg (25 lbs). Garbage bags can be contained in a garbage container but each bag must have a Tag affixed to it and the total weight of the container shall not exceed 23kg (50lbs).
Additional Refuse Collection Tags are available at Town Hall for $2/bag.
Commercial businesses (including industrial and institutional properties) have the option to opt-out of the Town's curbside collection of solid waste and disposal service provided that appropriate arrangements (proper bins and collection services) are in place.
Curbside collection of recyclable material, for commercial properties, is not available at this time. The Creston Recycling Depot, located at 412 Helen Street (beside Arrow Mountain car wash) is a CORE depot and accepts commercial/business generated recycling.
The Town of Creston strongly encourages residents to recycle all recyclable materials. Items like glass, styrofoam and plastic bags/wrap are not permitted in curbside collection bins. These materials can be taken to the RDCK Recycling Depots in Creston that are located on Helen Street behind the car wash, and at the RDCK Landfill. Find a complete list of RDCK depots, as well as locations of other bottle depots in Creston, online.
For more information on the Regional District of Central Kootenay’s updated recycling program with Recycle BC, click here.
♻️ The Creston Recycling Depot, located at 412 Helen St. (beside Arrow Mountain car wash) is a CORE depot which accepts the full range of materials. Hours of operation are Tuesday - Saturday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
♻️ The Creston Landfill, located at 1501 Mallory Rd. is a SATELLITE depot which ONLY accepts the three main categories of recycling: paper & cardboard, plastic & metal containers, and glass. Hours of operation are Tuesday - Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
♻️ For the RBC Recycling Guide click here.
|RDCK Landfill (Creston Facility)|
The RDCK Landfill (Creston Facility) is operated by the Regional District of Central Kootenay. Landfill hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The landfill is closed on statutory holidays. User fees do apply at the landfill site. The landfill is located on Mallory Road, across from the Creston Golf Course.
For up to date contact information, user fees, location, and services please visit the RDCK - Creston Landfill page, or call 1-800-268-7325.
|Residential Yard Waste Collection|
Yard waste will continue to be collected three times a year in the new Curbside Collection Program – once in the spring and twice in the fall. This service is provided by Town of Creston Crews not Tip-It Waste Solutions.
Subject to changes due to weather, yard waste collection can be expected as follows:
• Spring – the week immediately following the Easter long weekend
• Fall pickup #1 – the week immediately following the Thanksgiving long weekend.
• Fall pickup #2 – the full week immediately following Remembrance Day.
All Yard Waste must be placed in rigid, weather-proof containers or Kraft paper bags for collection. Each Yard Waste container/ bag can weigh up to 50 lbs (23 kg). Kraft paper bags are available at local retailers. Branches and pruning’s smaller than 15cm (6”) must be cut into 1 meter lengths and tied in manageable bundles. Branches and pruning’s larger that 15cm (6”) will not be accepted.
Yard waste can be taken to the Creston Landfill (1501 Mallory Road) at any time during their normal operating hours. Yard waste taken to the landfill will be charged at the going rate for ‘Yard and Garden Waste’. Effective January 2022, this rate is $2 Per 120L container (first 2 containers), $5/ load for Loads ≤ 2.5 m3 and $50/ tonne for Loads > 2.5 m3. These rates may be amended from time to time by the Regional District of Central Kootenay.
During the months of April and October (only) the Creston Landfill accepts Yard & Garden Waste for FREE. This practice is subject to the conditions placed upon it by the Regional District of Central Kootenay.