Development Services

Development is encouraged in the Town of Creston. Development enriches our community by bringing jobs, people, facilities, improved lifestyle and greater community security. Development in Creston is regulated to ensure that it is up to community standards and fits with current and long term planning objectives. 

If you are considering developing in Creston, we encourage you to familiarize yourself with the applicable bylaws and regulations found on this page. We also recommend that you contact Town staff early in the planning stages of your project to get our feedback on your plans and to inquire as to the permits required.

Development in Creston

Prior to getting started on your project, determine if it fits with community goals outlined in our Zoning Bylaw and Official Community Plan. Town staff are trained and available to help ensure a smooth planning process.

*Note: All bylaws and documents available on this page are unofficial copies. It is the responsibility of site users to contact Town Hall to verify that their development meets current bylaws and regulations which may change from time to time. 

Department Links

1. Zoning Bylaw

Each property in Creston belongs to a specific zone - or in some cases a property can be split into multiple zones. Development in these zones must conform to the specific regulations for that zone outlined in the Zoning Bylaw. To check the zoning of your property view the Zoning Map. To learn about permitted uses and other zone requirements view Zoning Bylaw No. 1958, 2022.

Development Variance Permits

If your development plans do not meet the zoning requirements such as setbacks or height restrictions, you may submit a Development Variance Permit Application in order to vary the section of the zoning bylaw that your proposal does not conform to. A Development Variance Permit cannot change the permitted uses or density of the zone. Council considers Development Variance Permit Applications on a case-by-case basis, and will consider the feedback of neighbouring property owners.

Zoning Amendments

If your planned development does not conform to the permitted uses or density requirements listed for your zone, you will need to complete a Zoning Amendment Application to change the zoning of the property to a zone where your proposed use is permitted, or to add your proposed use to the list of permitted uses in your current zone. Zoning Amendment Applications are considered by Council, following an extensive public process, on a case-by-case basis.

Council cannot approve a zoning amendment that contradicts the Land Use Designations of our Official Community Plan (OCP). If a development is not in conformance with both the Zoning Bylaw and the OCP, a combined Official Community Plan & Zoning Amendment Application must be submitted.

2. Official Community Plan (OCP)

The OCP is a land-use planning tool that is used to guide Town Council in its decisions about development, zoning and services. In 2016-2017, the OCP was developed through in-depth consultation with the public, to be sure that public opinion and interest on issues of future planning were taken into account.

The OCP delineates policy, which Council and the public can then use to evaluate development proposals and ensure they are consistent with the community's long-range plans. The Plan is reviewed and updated periodically to endure that it continues to reflect the long-range planning objectives of the Town of Creston on behalf of residents.

Development Permits

Section 488 of the Local Government Act (BC) provides municipalities with the ability to regulate development for a number of purposes including: protection of the natural environment; protection of development from hazardous conditions; revitalization of an area; form and character of development; and other purposes as defined in the Act. A Development Permit (DP) is registered on the Title of the property, and may also vary the Zoning bylaw in the same way as a Development Variance Permit.

Section VI (pg. 45-71) of the OCP defines eight Development Permit Areas (DPAs). Each DPA lists specific development requirements that must be addressed prior to the issuance of a Development Permit. Developers are encouraged to read Section VI of the OCP, prior to applying for a Development Permit. Schedule B (DPAs 1-2) and C (DPAs 3-8) of the OCP define the properties found in each DPA. 

To obtain a Development Permit the land owner must submit a Development Permit Application to the Town. Council will consider each DP application on a case-by-case basis. Council have delegated the ability to make decisions regarding DPs to the Director of Municipal Services or Town Manager, where a development has value less than $100,000 (conditions apply, see Delegation of Authority Bylaw No. 1855, 2017).

The conditions are different for each DPA. To assist developers in their planning we have compiled the following checklists as guides to the requirements for each individual DPA:

Development Permit Area Maps:

OCP Amendments

If your plans are not in conformance with the OCP, you will need to submit an Official Community Plan Amendment Application. OCP Amendments require a robust public process. Council considers Official Community Plan Amendment Applications on a case-by-case basis.

3. Development Cost Charges (DCCs)

If your planned development is to take place within the area defined on the map below DCCs may apply. DCCs are imposed on developments for the sole purpose of providing funds to assist the Town in paying the capital cost of providing, constructing, altering or expanding road facilities, water mains, sanitary sewer, storm drains, and parks in order to serve directly or indirectly, the development for with the charges are imposed. To learn more about DCCs view Development Cost Charges (Alice Siding) Bylaw No. 1463.