A community is incorporated by the Province as a municipality when Cabinet approves a legal document called “Letters Patent”. The Letters Patent establishes the municipality's name and boundary, provides for the first election of the Mayor and Council, and contains a variety of issues related to the local government’s authority. The community of Creston was originally incorporated as a “village” in 1924. On December 7, 1965, this status was officially changed to a “town” and Herb Dodd was designated as Mayor for the Town of Creston. In 1974 the Council Establishment Bylaw #664 was enacted to increase the Council by 2 “aldermen”; resulting in a total of 6 Council members, plus the Mayor, comprising Creston’s governance structure.