Town Council wishes to encourage citizens to:
- understand and embrace their responsibilities with regards to Bylaw Compliance;
- become knowledgeable about their rights and the rights of their neighbours; and,
- assist as possible with creating healthy neighbourhoods based on relationships of mutual respect.
The primary goal of the Bylaw Compliance Philosophy is to achieve compliance through education and provision of information in order to preserve the quality of life to which each citizen is entitled.
Should enforcement action become necessary, the Town of Creston has adopted the Bylaw Dispute Adjudication Model to create a simple, fair and cost effective system for dealing with infractions.
Bylaw Notice Dispute Adjudication System
This system allows the Town of Creston to process Bylaw Notice disputes at the local level rather than through the Provincial Court system. This more efficient system benefits both the community and the person(s) involved in a dispute by reducing the associated costs and the time required to deal with a dispute.
Complaints will be handled as quickly as possible depending on the volume of complaints; cooperation of the property owner or person in violation; specific circumstances of the case; and, required enforcement proceedings.
The goals of the adjudication model is to create simple, fair and cost-effective systems for dealing with minor bylaw infractions. To meet these goals, the adjudication model:
- establishes a dedicated forum for resolving local bylaw enforcement disputes;
- uses a dispute resolution-based approach to obtain independently adjudicated decisions;
- avoids the unnecessary attendance of witnesses;
- avoids the need to hire legal counsel; and,
- promotes the timely resolution of bylaw enforcement disputes.
The Bylaw Compliance Department is committed to serving and protecting a desired quality of life for citizens and visitors to the Town of Creston through:
- education to help raise awareness of community standards; and,
- enforcement of Town Bylaws to ensure timely compliance with a professional unbiased approach.
Town Bylaw Compliance staff are considered to be ambassadors of the community. Bylaw Compliance staff demonstrate the following attributes in carrying out their duties:
How to Submit a Written Complaint
If you have a concern regarding compliance with one of the Town Bylaws, the Bylaw Compliance Department requires you to fill out a written Bylaw Complaint Form with your name, address, and phone number as well as a detailed description of the alleged bylaw violation. A Bylaw Complaint Form can be obtained online or at the Town Hall.
Forms may be received in various ways:
- In person at the Town Office (Monday to Friday, excluding holidays from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- By fax at (250) 428-9164
- Animal Care and Responsibility
- Business Licences
- Fire Services
- Firearms Bows and Paintball
- Noise Control
- Parking Lots
- Property Maintenance
- Signs Traffic Regulations
- Truck Regulations
- Water Rates and Regulations
For more information on bylaws or the Bylaw Notice Adjudication System, please contact the Town of Creston.
Revised August 4, 2015